Thursday, January 7, 2016

Will Mathews-Poetry


Nessa Rapoport is the author of the novel, Preparing for Sabbath. Her short stories and essays have been published widely. With Ted Solotaroff, she edited the anthology Writing Our Way Home. She lives in New York with her husband and children.

 In the collection A Women’s Book of Grieving, Rapoport walks hand in hand with the reader through the pain and struggles that accompany the heart when it losses someone. In her poem, “Drowning in Remembrance” we see the rage felt by someone who is grieving, she writes “I surrender, you have left me, and I hate you for it.” She continues this theme of a person in grief in her poem, “The Body in Greif”writing, “Now pleasure tastes like ash, your nakedness is in the grave.”

“From The Darkest Place”

From the darkest place, base of the shattered stairs, the stony voice says: Never, and: No, and: Unforgiven, but I, volleying against despair, still cry out in the habit of hopefulness. Find me, lift me up, bathe me in forgotten grace.”

This is another poem in which the deeper emotions felt during grief are displayed to the reader.  The lines “From the darkest place” can be inferred to mean the worst stage of grieving, the hopeless, what do I do now stage. But then the poem shifts and the darkness is hit with a “volley(ing) against despair.” Even though what the writer yells at despair may be futile, it shows that she has not totally lost hope and may one day be lifted up. The poem is similar to the common theme of grief in the other poems, shown through the discussion of the “darkest place”, however the ending as discussed shows a different voice then that of one in total despair.

The poems in this collection are mostly free verse and deal with the pain and depression of grief. This theme for the poems, gives them a darker side. While I am in no way a poet, I have dabbled in writing a few just for the fun of it. As odd as it may sound, I have found that they come out to sound rather dark as well. So it is something that the author and I have in common.  In difference all of Rapoport’s poems somewhat connect, while any that I have written have very little to do with each other. So when I write again I may want to try and connect my poems through common themes and ideas.

 

  1. Rapoport, Nessa. A Woman's Book of Grieving. W. Morrow, 1994.

1 comment:

  1. Will--You are a profound thinker and reader. I'd love to see you explore some of your depths in verse.

    ReplyDelete