Monday, November 23, 2015

two minute thank you on philosophy- will mathews

Voltaire taught me that “common sense is not so common”. Kant said that in ethics, I’d be guilty if I even thought of violating the rights of others. Descartes said that “I think therefore I am”.  Montesquieu showed me the power of books by saying, “I have never known any distress that an hours reading did not relieve.” Locke let me see the value of hands on experience by saying, “no man’s knowledge here can go beyond his experience.” I learned to have tough skin from Rousseau who said “insults are the arguments of those employed by those who are in the wrong.” Bacon revealed the power of age by saying, “Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.”  Aristotle on education said “the roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” Socrates taught me humility, divulging “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.” Finally Hume taught me perhaps my moist important lesson, “Be a philosopher but, amid all your philosophy be still a man.”

No comments:

Post a Comment