Monday, August 24, 2015

Why Art?- Andrew Collins

I believe that Art's main function in our society is to give us a break from necessity. We need to work, we need to eat, we need to sleep, but we don't need to make or appreciate art. Just the simple fact that no part of art is absolutely necessary draws us to it, so we may get a break from our duties and responsibilities. Art is a pure expression of our consciousness, our feelings, and our struggles, with no strings attached. It allows us to escape from our material world and simply feel.

The purpose of the artist is to allow us an outlet to understand our surroundings in ways that we never thought possible. Well crafted art opens our minds to new possibilities. The primary responsibility of the artist is to create a clean separation from our responsibilities and our struggles so that we may think and feel more clearly.

Language arts is separated from other art forms by its necessity. Language arts enables us to effectively translate our thoughts to others in a very efficient manner. Without it we would have made almost zero progress as a race. Visual art may tell stories, but without the communication enabled by language arts we would be stuck in the stone age.

I do consider myself an artist. I actually perform my favorite type of art, jazz music, regularly. Whenever I play an improvised solo on saxophone I am creating art on the fly. I always try and create a meaningful melody that my audience can relate to. Each solo is a story that crafts itself as it is played. That is my favorite part of my art, that it crafts itself in real time.

No comments:

Post a Comment