Thursday, October 22, 2015

Humor - Charlie Grimes

The Importance of Being Earnest is loaded with a variety of humor, all of which I found to be effective in not only making me laugh, but displaying a certain perspective of a group of people. Elements of satire were littered all throughout the play, with outrageous lines like "I never travel without my diary. One must always have something sensational to read in the train" being common occurrences. Oscar Wilde's excellent usage of satire, farce, comedy of manners and puns all contributed to a hilarious critique of upper class society. The satire and comedy of manners is also very apparent when Lady Bracknell instructs Jack, an orphan, to "produce at any rate one parent, of either sex, before the season is quite over."

Humor has always been an important part of my life and of my personality. I enjoy all types of humor, from the most basic, immature dialogue in a comedy movie to clever puns and subtle references in literature. I have always found sarcasm to be particularly hilarious, and find that I use it myself quite often (and potentially too much). I have always been particularly fond of the humor in shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, where there is an endless stream of "low" humor, but often with an underlying intellectual and political message. I also find the humor in TV show The Sopranos to be particularly hilarious. For instance, at one point in the story, two characters are digging up a dead body to move it to a different location. When one of the characters comes upon the body he is looking for, he exclaims "Oh my god! Is that him?!"Realizing the irony of this statement, the other character replies "Now that would be some f****** coincidence if it wasn't!"

No comments:

Post a Comment