Friday, October 23, 2015

Humor- Sloan Warner

In The Important of Being Earnest, the humor is so beyond absurd and satirical, and I loved every second of it. First of all, in the small group reading of the play, the humor was enhanced by some of our terrible British accents. Moreover, I am the person that pretty much laughs at any joke or funny situation as long as it is not so insanely morbid that its humor diminishes (cough cough... 9/11 jokes). I am always the person giving the person a high five who said an awful pun, partially because I pity them and their bad joke making skills. Some of my best laughs have come from watching Seinfeld with my family, and Earnest reminded me a lot of Seinfeld. The improbable plots from both are so absurd that only Jerry Seinfeld or Oscar Wilde could come up with them. With Jack's name actually being Earnest at the end of the story can only be compared to the Seinfeld plot where George gets a job with the Yankees by the doing everything totally opposite of what his gut tells him to do. They can both be classified as liquid gold. Also both Seinfeld and Wilde are so funny in their commentary on society and how absurd it is. I loved Earnest and I hope we continue to read stories like it later in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment