Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Humor- Will Mathews

Usually in comedy I am not picky about my humor, if it is low or high, as long as it makes me laugh I like it. In Earnest however, I was mostly drawn to the high humor, to be even more specific, the satire. One of my favorite parts was when Cecily is telling Algy how she broke off their engagement for a few days because “it would hardly have been a really serious engagement if it hadn’t been broken off at least once.” This kind of ridiculous satire, making fun of the society in which this story takes place really made me laugh, it’s just so insane to think about.  I mean, Cecily broke off the engagement to Algy, even though he didn’t even know they were engaged, just so that the engagement would be more serious. I mean it barley makes sense when you write it out, which makes it even more hilarious.

One of my favorite movies is Zoolander, if you aren’t familiar with it, it’s a movie about male modelling and it’s hilarious. I’ve watched it a bunch of times over the past, let’s say 8 years, but with my more mature mind I watched it recently and realized there were even more things that were funny that I’d never noticed. One part in particular really jumped out at me the last time I watched it. At the beginning if the movie, they have one of those award ceremony videos, where the nominees talk and there work is shown. And Hansel is doing his and he says something about “how people always say that models are so vain, but he’s never really felt that,” as he is saying all this he is dressed up in a god-like angel costume, which basically contradicts everything he says. I just thought that was a really funny use of high humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment