Sunday, October 25, 2015

Humor - Walt Finch

I like the Importance of Being Ernest.  The type of humor that I probably prefer is "high humor".  I really enjoy the satire, when it is just so absurd that I can't help but laugh and think how true that probably is.  Like the example of Aunt Augusta after she asks Jack if he smokes and she says, "a man must always have an occupation of some kind." That made me laugh.  On TV a show that I really like is Family Guy.  I really enjoy the way they critique society.  They start off episodes in seemingly random ways, so it doesn't come off as them preaching, but slowly it takes unexpected turns to have commentary on society.  An example is the episode "The Old Man and the Big C".  Carter has created a medicine that cures any disease.  But the episode starts off by having him get sick and then miraculously cured.  But it talks about how it is much more profitable to treat a disease than cure everything.  It's better to have them keep coming back.  This isn't as funny of an example but there are plenty of instances where it is very funny.  There's also a lot of comic humor in Family Guy, like when Peter always fights the chicken, and that is funny but it doesn't make me laugh as hard.  Or really think.  It just brings a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment