Sunday, October 18, 2015

Maddie Wheeler- Humo

The Importance of Being Earnest is hilarious to me, and its one of the only physical texts that I have managed to laugh out loud at. I don't have a humor that I respond to more so, unless it's anything that Donald Trump says, because that can get me to roll on the floor. Wilde's combination of humor is what intrigued me the most. He included puns, social digs, and just ridiculousness. I feel that if the entire story was ridiculousness that I would have grown annoyed with it, and not found it funny at all. My favorite funny TV show to watch is either Friends or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but especially Sunny. Anyone who has never seen Sunny can say that it means nothing, and doesn't comment on anything, but this is not true at all. One of my favorite examples is in the Pilot episode, when the entire plot line is that Charlie complains to Mac that they don't have any black friends. They then attempt to immerse themselves in modern black culture, without being racist, and it doesn't really work. One of the lines that Dennis says to his sister's love interest actually is "We weren't expecting you to be black," and if this isn't commentary then I don't know what is. Some of the other issues that are tackled in the show are abortion, premarital sex, gun control, the gas crisis, and men's obsession with women's bodies. The similarities between Earnest and Sunny are strong, mostly because they both employ different types of humor. I love both equally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment