Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Art and the Artist Responses- Mikaela Gatewood

Charlie Grimes- I thought that Charlie's interpretation of the poem was really interesting, concluding that in striving to see the perfect, we miss the beauty around us. He then connects the poem to not only Jackson Pollock's quote, but to his art as well. I thought that it was interesting and well thought out that he linked Pollock's messy techniques to the poet's loose formatting of the stanzas, creating a large range of images of emotions that the blackbird invokes. The idea that both presented emotions, such as fear or fascination, was a connection I hadn't thought to make. Overall, I thought it was a really well done analysis.

Emmet Allen- Emmet was the only other person to choose the same poem as me, so I thought I would talk about his. Emmet approached the poem differently than I did, however I think we generally arrived at the same conclusion. Despite not knowing that the poem was about the death of Billie Holliday, Emmet still beautifully illustrated that the author was shocked and dismayed over the death of a figure important to the author's life. The quote he chose has a clear connection to one of the main purposes of the poem, the author expressing his feelings and actions throughout the day. This gave a clear example that the purpose of art was to record your reactions to the world around you. I think it was a great connection to make and very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment