Monday, September 21, 2015

Responses- Brandon Castillo

I thought that Caroline's take on "The Harlem Dancer" was cool. It was different that she looked at it through the author's eyes and how she was also able to see the sadness the dancer felt because of the life that she lived now. I like the contrast she puts in her writing when she juxtaposes the happiness of the people looking at the dancer and the dancer herself. She also took it a different way by choosing the quote by Amy Lowell- "art is the desire of man to express himself". I saw more of the feelings that the art created in the piece rather than the expression of the artist but I think that the way Caroline approached it was cool.
I also thought that Will's interpretation of Amy Lowell's quote was good. I thought that him saying that art has its limitations was thought-provoking because I think that he is right, one artwork can't say everything the author has to say. I believe that the author has to publish several pieces in order to get all his ideas across- we don't have just one opinion but rather lots of opinions on lots of things so it would make sense that we would need more than just one art piece to get multiple points across. I thought that him using the poem that he picked to describe a way that artists were restricted by their trade was also awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment